Global Leadership participants Faruk (left) and Alison

Global Leadership Program launches into 2006

Macquarie’s ground-breaking Global Leadership Program (GLP) has opened applications for this semester.

The program gained unprecedented popularity in 2005, with 840 students taking part in a combination of international opportunities and campus activities.

Bachelor of International Business student Omer Faruk Sonmez, from Turkey, has thrown himself into all the opportunities the GLP offers, attending leadership and professional programs in the United States, United Kingdom and Czech Republic.

“I had been looking for a leadership program at university, and was one of the first students to join. I’ve met (so) many great and intelligent people (through the program) – at Macquarie and around the world,” he says.

“It is the best way to be involved with other students and meet Australians. You don’t have to be a Prime Minister after this program, but it really expands your horizons. It teaches you how the world works, and that is always good to know,” says Faruk.

Students achieve the Global Leadership Program requirements through a mixture of international and local training and experiences. For those who meet the requirements, the GLP is a notation on their academic transcript, and is an impressive asset on their CV.

Faruk (far left) and Alison (second from right) with other students at a leadership program in Prague

Bachelor of Commerce/Law student Alison Chang says the GLP has been ‘by far’ the best part of her university experience. “It has enabled me to do things I never dreamed I would do,” she says.

Supported by the GLP, Alison will fly to China later this month to participate in the Harvard World Model United Nations. Like Faruk, she also attended a youth leadership program in the Czech Republic, and undertook a Commonwealth Bank internship.

“I would say I am a pretty pro-active person, but you just don’t find out about all the opportunities unless someone points them out,” she says.

“Because you are trying to build points for the GLP, you are encouraged to go out of your comfort zone. For example, I put my hand up to be Head Delegate for the GLP team in China, which I wouldn’t have done otherwise.”

The Global Leadership Program will be featured at the Macquarie Student Exchange Fair, on Tuesday 21st March. It is open to all undergraduate (Australian and international), Study Abroad and Exchange students.

Applications close Tuesday 28th March, see the GLP website for more information.