Exchange Journal: My American Adventure

Hannah Clapman writes of her exchange to North Carolina.

“In 2011 I was fortunate enough to participate in a semester exchange at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, a quaint little town located in the beautiful blue mountains in the West of North Carolina.

My exchange project was a combination of hard work and heaps of fun. I met many new friends from all over the world and was able to experience a new and exciting mode of university life. I lived on campus for the very first time, had a roommate and studied under teaching styles completely different to my previous learning at Macquarie University. From the very first day, my exchange experience was an incredible adventure that I would do again given the chance.

After completing my semester of study, I took the opportunity to travel around the USA and Canada. I fulfilled many goals and wishes during my travels including a road trip from East coast to West, a bus tour from New York City through Eastern Canada and bought a Greyhound discovery pass and bussed a loop of America.

I did so many things that I never thought I would including white water rafting in the Nantahala River, hiking in the Blue Ridge Parkway mountains, driving along Historic Route 66, walking on the Singing Sand Dunes of the Mojave Desert and Kayaking in the Floridian Everglades. I did all of this and much more in what was one of the most worthwhile experiences I have ever had.

Choosing to study abroad was one of the best decisions I have made and Macquarie International made it possible as well as offering tremendous support at each and every stage of the process.”