A fashionable trade in the Big Apple

Danielle Holden’s role reads like a combination of career wishlist items for many students, combining fashion and beauty, international trade, a job with the British Consulate-General and a location in New York City.

The US-born Macquarie graduate is currently working for UK Trade and Investment (UKTI), the British Government’s international business development agency, where she assists British fashion and beauty companies seeking to expand their presence in the US market.

With a double masters degree from Macquarie in International Business and International Relations, Danielle is well-equipped to offer her clients advice on issues such as route to market, business plans, and customs and duties barriers.

Danielle says her time studying alongside other international students at Macquarie has given her a distinct advantage in her field.

I chose Macquarie University because of its reputation of being an international school, with students from all over the world,” she recalls. My exposure to a wide range different cultures and backgrounds at Macquarie gave me a great foundation for a career in international business.”

Macquarie also helped Danielle open the door to what would be her eventual employer.

“Through Macquarie’s internship program, I interned for a semester at UKTI for the British Consulate General in Sydney,” she says. “This experience gave me the skills to successfully land my current job in New York.”

“Macquarie internship team really took care in placing me in an internship where I would get the most valuable experience. It was definitely the highlight of my time at Macquarie.”

Read more about Macquarie’s internship program.