Bat-Uul Baldandorj chose Macquarie because of the quality of programs and the selection of the subjects available in his chosen degree. “On top of that, I genuinely wanted to travel and live in a truly multicultural city like Sydney,” he adds.

Business graduate rides Mongolian mining boom

In 2012 Mongolia achieved a 16.7% first-quarter economic growth rate – more than double that of China. Its success is underpinned by a mining boom that is set to bring increased wealth to the largely impoverished nation.

Macquarie graduate Bat-Uul Baldandorj is experiencing this boom first hand, as a Business Development Analyst with Rio Tinto Mongolia.

Bat-Uul, who completed his Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) at Macquarie in 2011, joined the Rio Tinto’s graduate program late last year.  He expects to relocate to Rio Tinto’s London offices next year to complete the program.

The company’s massive Oyo Tolgoi copper and gold mining project is scheduled to commence commercial production in 2013. Bat-Uul notes that it is expected to increase Mongolia’s GDP by a staggering one-third.

“I am happy to be part this landmark project,” he says. “You can only imagine the excitement and importance of the project to the country.”

Bat-Uul’s work includes contract negotiations, financing, market analysis, government relations and intelligence gathering.  He is also required to do a substantial amount of networking, and credits his participation in extracurricular activities at Macquarie for developing his networking skills.

“I can’t stress well enough the power of knowing different people and having friends,” Bat-Uul says. “Not only does active involvement [in university life] look good on a resume, it mimics the job environment too.”

“It gives me a great pleasure to recall memories from my involvement in student societies such as the Economics, Commerce and Finance Society and the Buddy Program.”

“I was also fortunate to go on exchange to the University of Richmond in the USA, which opened a lot doors for me and was a truly remarkable experience. Macquarie even subsidised some of the cost of my exchange [through its travel grant scheme].”

Bat-Uul’s advice to future Macquarie students is to ‘begin with an end in mind’.

“It is not always easy to make a career choice in the beginning, but it teaches you the process of reaching a goal,” he says.

“Look at the job description and requirements of the position you want and use it to work out what you need to do at university and what classes to take.”

Read more about the Bachelor of Business Administration.