-
-

Marketing student inspired by the ‘different brain’

When Brazilian Gustavo Agra started his master degree in marketing, he found it difficult to find a source of creativity that could inspire his work. So he decided to create his own.

The result was www.thedifferentbrain.com – a website showcasing inspirational advertising, design, photography and digital media from Australia and around the world.

Nearing completion of a Master of Commerce specialising in Marketing, Gustavo has combined postgraduate study with management of his website and a job with the Sydney office of Saatchi & Saatchi – one of the world’s largest and most awarded advertising agencies.

As a junior strategic planner with Saatchi, Gustavo works within a team to help clients such as Toyota, Cadbury and Procter & Gamble set objectives and strategies that can be transformed into an advertising campaign.

He says the practical focus of Macquarie’s subjects meant that he could hit the ground running at the agency.

“I had already applied theory to my practical assignments, so when I got my project I was ready to do it all by myself,” he notes.

“I also realised how my way of thinking has changed by doing this course. I’m now able to see both sides in a discussion clearly, and critically analyse and shape my opinion.”

Gustavo says there were two particular units within his degree that helped him define his career objectives.

Strategic Management and Applied Marketing Strategy are two classes which made me realise exactly what I wanted as my professional career,” he says. “Both are highly related to my job today.”

Having chosen Macquarie partly for its beautiful green campus and proximity to Sydney beaches, Gustavo says he highly recommends the Australian study experience.

“The life here is something that everyone should have the opportunity to live. The experience of living abroad and doing a significant degree is priceless.”

“I am now planning to open my own business, knowing that I’m ready to make it anywhere overseas.”

Read more about the Master of Commerce.