Photo: Nizar Noor
Photo: Nizar Noor

AusAID scholarship student off to a flying start

Among the international students commencing at Macquarie this week are a special group of scholars, on a mission to improve development in their home countries.

As recipients of the AusAID Australia Award (formerly the Australia Development Scholarship) these students are bring supported by the Australian Government to undertake a postgraduate degree at Macquarie, either by coursework or research.

One such student is Thuong Nguyen, an employee of the Vietnam Ministry of Public Security. Thuong has come to Macquarie to complete a Master of Policing, Intelligence and Counter Terrorism, specialising in Policing.

“After I finish at Macquarie, I will go back to my office and can apply what I have studied to my work,” she says.

Thuong became aware of Macquarie’s programs in security and intelligence at an educational event in Hanoi. One of many international events and educational fairs Macquarie attends throughout the year, these events giving local students chance to learn more about the University’s programs.

“I was trying to find course on policing and crime but I didn’t know which institution to choose,” Thuong recalls.

“At the event in Hanoi I met [regional recruitment manager] Natalie Lee, who was very nice and helpful. She told me all about Macquarie’s Centre for Policing, Intelligence and Counter Terrorism (PICT).”

Along with her return airfares and a living allowance, the Australia Award scholarship also covered Thuong’s completion of an Introductory Academic Program at the Macquarie University English Language Centre (ELC).

“I found the ELC teachers very nice, and they taught me the skills I need for the master course,” says Thuong. “They helped me a lot with essay writing and I feel more confident with that now.”

“By studying here in Australia, I’ll improve my English skills because I’ll be using English all the time.”

Thuong says she is already enjoying life on the Macquarie campus, especially the ‘huge and modern library’.

“I am also enjoying Sydney’s fresh air and clean food,” she adds. “The public transport system is also huge and very convenient, so there are no traffic jams!”

AusAID Australia Award scholarship – applications now open

Applications are currently open for the AusAID Australia Award, for study in 2014 (with the exception of some countries where applications open in March). Visit the official Australia Awards website where you will find details on how to apply, application closing dates and country-specific eligibility criteria.

Enquiries regarding the Australia Award scholarship should be directed to the relevant email address in your country, as listed here.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyIzsnj_78 Locksmith capitol Hill Dc

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really
    nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future.

All the best

Look into my weblog – Locksmith capitol Hill Dc