“Aussies are friendly and easy going and everyone enjoys the life here,” says Indonesian PhD student Agus Fredy Maradona. “I love the way they say ‘Hi, how are you doing’ and ‘no worries’.” [Photo: Nizar Noor]

‘No worries’ for Australia Award scholar

Stepping onto Macquarie’s parkland campus for the first time, Agus Fredy Maradona couldn’t believe how green his new home was.

“The buildings seem to grow between the trees, instead of the trees growing between buildings,” he exclaims.

The Australia Award recipient has come to Macquarie to undertake a PhD in accounting and corporate governance, with the ultimate goal of creating a centre for corporate governance research in his home country of Indonesia.

Agus says completing his PhD under the Australia Award scholarship program is a great personal challenge.

“Australia Award scholarships are very competitive, particularly for PhD candidates,” he notes. “It has challenged me to contribute in my field, and to the development of Indonesia and its relationship with Australia.”

Having been awarded the scholarship, Agus says he spent a lot of time considering the right Australian university for him.

“I planned carefully before deciding to chose Macquarie for its excellence in accounting research, which is evident from the number of staff and student publications in leading academic journals.”

“My proposed research topic also corresponds to the focus of research in the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance and judging from my initial correspondence with my supervisor, Macquarie’s academics provide a high standard of research supervision.”

Agus says the Australia Award scholarships open up great opportunities for students in developing countries.

“They are able to enhance their knowledge and skills in a wide range of fields by studying at Australian universities, and at the same time to learn from the Australian experience,” he says.

He advises applicants to the scholarship program to think carefully about how they will demonstrate their commitment to development in their home country.

“They should be able to demonstrate what sort of real contribution they will provide to development upon completion of their studies, he noted. “That contribution should be real, practical, and achievable.”

Now that he has commenced at Macquarie, Agus describes life at the University as ‘amazing’.

“The library is magnificent  – I have never seen one like it before,” he says.

“I am also greatly impressed by the dedication of the staff in teaching and learning, and I see all the people here are passionate in what they are doing.”

Applications are currently open for the AusAID Australia Award scholarship in most participating developing countries, for postgraduate coursework study or research commencing in 2014. See the official Australia Awards website for more information.

• parlindungan hutabarat

Mr. Agus, thank you so much fo your explanation. I want to continue my study there, may i know your email or phone number?tq

• Antra

Hi Parlindungan, we will pass on your details to Agus.