Cousins Abhishek and Amit, pictured by the lake on Amit’s graduation day.

Keeping it in the family

It’s not uncommon for international students at Macquarie to follow in the footsteps of older siblings, family members or friends who have already studied at the University.  After all, there’s nothing more valuable than the recommendation of someone you trust.

Indian-born Abhishek Bajaj chose to study accounting at Macquarie after seeing the success of his cousin Amit Gulati, who had graduated with a Master of Accounting (CPA Extension).

“I always wanted to study at Macquarie because I wanted to get ahead in accounting and Macquarie is one of the top universities for this course,” he recalls.

“After seeing friends and family graduate from Macquarie and get into good jobs, it made my decision even stronger.”

Now both Amit and Abhishek are enjoying professional success, Amit as a Credit Collections Associate for a Sydney-based online retailer, and Abhishek as a Trade Accounts Officer at ANZ, one of the ‘big four’ Australian banks.

Abhishek says it was Macquarie’s reputation as a leading university for accounting and business that gave him the edge when it came to securing his role at ANZ.

“I beat 17 other candidates to the position, even though I didn’t have any experience,” he notes. “They knew that my knowledge was attained from a big and reputable university.”

Amit agrees, noting that Macquarie provided him with valuable ’soft skills’ that compliment his technical accounting knowledge.

“My presentation and communication skills were honed at Macquarie, which made it much easier for me to communicate and connect with my team members and managers in my current role.”

Amit is working to fulfill the practical experience requirement of the CPA program and aims to attain full CPA status by the end of the year.

Students undertaking the Master of Accounting (CPA Extension) receive extensive academic support while they prepare for the CPA external examinations. Graduates consistently receive better results in the CPA examinations than non-Macquarie graduates.

• shreya

so proud of you my baby mwahh love you

• http://www.charteredclub.com Karan Batra

Congrats Abhishek…

All your friends here in India are proud of you…

Keep up the good work :)