.
.

Swapping snow for sunshine

With a Swedish newspaper recently declaring ‘spring is cancelled’, exchange student Sara Lindau feels very lucky to be enjoying the Sydney warmth and sunshine.

“There is still snow on the ground in Sweden, which is very unusual for April,” she says. “So I am very happy to be here!”

Sara is undertaking an exchange semester at Macquarie as part of her postgraduate marketing and media degree at the Stockholm School of Economics, one of Europe’s leading business schools and a Macquarie exchange partner.

“I really wanted to finish my degree overseas to get more international experience and to sharpen my English, since I believe this will be important for my career,” says Sara.

“Sydney seemed like an awesome city to live and study in, so it was my first choice for exchange.”

With 38,000 students studying at Macquarie, Sara says it took awhile for her to adjust to the ‘huge’ campus.

“My home university has only 2000 students and one main building, so this is a totally new experience for me,” she exclaims. “Everything you need is here on campus – food, study areas, library, the sports centre, banks and a bar.“

“There are also lots of outdoor areas where you can sit and study or have lunch.”

Noting that Australian and Swedish universities share a common focus on practical, interactive teaching, Sara says she is enjoying learning from both her teachers and fellow classmates who provide different cultural perspectives.

“I take some really interesting classes here – I’ve been able to choose specialised electives that I am truly interested in as a marketer,’ she says. “The teaching environment is very interactive and giving, which I like because you can learn from the teacher as well as from each other.”

“I can see myself working in an international company where it’s important to have experience in working with people from different backgrounds.”

Living off-campus at Bondi, Sara says she is enjoying the ‘amazing beaches’ on her doorstep.

“Even though it takes a bit longer to get to school, it is totally worth it as I can get most out of both campus life and life in Sydney”, she says.

Read more about undertaking study abroad or exchange at Macquarie. Macquarie students interested in doing an exchange semester at the Stockholm School of Economics can visit the outbound exchange website or visit the exchange fair on Thursday 11 April.