“My fondest memory of Macquarie is having lunch at the top level of U@MQ building (now the ‘Campus Hub’) which overlooks the fauna park and the lake,” says graduate Linda Li. “It was my favourite place to catch up with friends and relax after classes.”

Finance graduate keeping airports in check

Shanghai-born Linda Li has taken her Macquarie degree all the way to London, where she is applying her finance and economics knowledge to the exciting world of aviation.

As a regulatory economist at the Civil Aviation Authority in the United Kingdom, Linda works within the economic regulation team to ensure that Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports do not exploit their position as monopoly service providers.

“Our work determines the charges that these airports levy on airlines wishing to use the airport, and also ensures that these airports meet the levels of service and standard expected by consumers,” Linda notes.

Prior to joining the Civil Aviation Authority, Linda spent four years with the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal, the independent economic regulator in New South Wales. During this time she also completed a Master of Economics.

Linda says Macquarie’s Bachelor of Applied Finance program provided her with an ideal mix of theoretical and practical knowledge.

“I had heard of Macquarie’s prestigious applied finance programs when I was still in China. I wanted to become a well-rounded finance professional, so I decided to apply.”

Linda says she recommends Macquarie for its focus on practical ‘real-world’ teaching.

“Macquarie provides students with not only the relevant theory, but also practical, first-hand industry knowledge that I could apply immediately in workplace,” she notes.

“The teaching and support staff at Macquarie are also very friendly and dedicated, not only to teaching but also to students’ personal development,” she adds.

“My lecturer Egon Kalotay took time to get to know me, and gave me an opportunity to work as a tutor.  He mentored me not only academically, but also in many areas of my personal development such as communicating with people with a different knowledge background, resolving conflicts, being a leader and dealing with difficult situations.”

Linda says a highlight of her degree was her exchange at the Copenhagen Business School in Denmark, which she completed after her first year.

“Macquarie not only encouraged me to apply for their exchange program, but also provided me with a $2,500 travel grant, which I really appreciated!”

“Exchange enhanced my research and analytical techniques and also helped me gain a better understanding of cross-cultural communication and business,” she says.

Find an undergraduate or postgraduate applied finance degree to suit your career goals.