Macquarie's international student scholars enjoyed cocktails and canapés at a special celebration function held in their honour last week.

Scholarship students celebrate

The champagne was flowing last week, as Macquarie University formally welcomed its international scholarship students with a special function attended by the Vice Chancellor Professor S Bruce Dowton and senior academic staff.

More than 80 scholarship students were in attendance, representing a diverse range of over 30 countries including Austria, Cambodia, El Salvador, Iraq, Malaysia and Rwanda.

Whilst the students were recipients of different scholarships (including the Macquarie University International Scholarship, Australian Government scholarships and overseas government scholarships) they had something in common – outstanding academic results and a commitment to pursuing their dream with an Australian degree.

In formally welcoming the students, the Vice Chancellor recalled his own experiences as a student studying abroad in the USA and reminded them that Macquarie gave them a unique opportunity to forge important connections with fellow students from around the world,

“Find people like you, and bond with them,” he advised. “But more importantly, find people not like you, learn from them and bond with them as well.”

Scholarship student Lulu Jemimah spoke passionately about how her scholarship had opened up opportunities for her and those around her.

Ugandan scholarship recipient Lulu Jemimah told guests of the barriers she has had to overcome to get to Macquarie.

The Ugandan, who had been working as a journalist in her home country, said she decided to study a Bachelor of Arts–Media at Macquarie so that employers could no longer accuse her of being unqualified.

“I’m sure everyone in this room has been told they can’t do something,” Lulu said. “I decided to go to the best university, get my degree, go back home and show them I can.”

“Let’s go out and never let an objection slow us down.”

AusAID scholarship recipients photographed with Vice Chancellor Professor S Bruce Dowton and Professor Mark Gabbott, Pro-Vice Chancellor (International) and Executive Dean of the Faculty of Business and Economics.

Read more about scholarships available to high-achieving international students at Macquarie.

• Sherly

Hi Antra,

I am an international student from Indonesia and would like to apply for MUIS (2014 entry). My IELTS score is band 8.5 overall and I have completed the Cambridge A Level qualification.
    What is the ATAR equivalent if I have A*ABC (A Level) and A (AS Level)? Would I be eligible to apply?

Cheers,
    Sherly

• HASSAN

I got atar of more than 99.5.
    What are my chances of muis full scholarship ?
    I’m an international student