For Andrew Van der Saag (left), one of the highlights during his exchange in Linköping was skydiving with friends in the north of Sweden.

Travel adds to university exchange experience, says Macquarie student

Andrew Van der Saag is studying a Bachelor of Applied Finance with Bachelor of Economics. He spent last session on exchange at Linköping University in Sweden.

“During Session 2, I had the great pleasure of studying on exchange in Linköping, a lovely little city in the east of Sweden. Sweden is a place rich with culture and history, with traditions going back to the time of the Vikings more than a century ago.

What separates it from other European countries is that it is a big country with a small population. So much of its natural beauty is preserved without signs of human habitation. I will always remember the lush-green fields, many lakes and beautiful rugged coastlines when I think about Sweden.

Settling into uni life in Linköping could not have been easier. From the moment I walked into the international office, I was warmly welcomed and felt right at home.

Once I had the keys to my student house, I was ready for the orientation program. The international office went to a lot of trouble to organise many fun activities for the new students, including tours of the city and its attractions, attending the Viking Day Festival and barbecues, which gave us the opportunity to meet other students and make new friends.

I lived in a student housing area near the university, a few kilometres from the city. It’s a buzzing hub of activity nestled among farms and forests.

Highlights included group dinners and parties in my corridor, hiking in the beautiful countryside and skydiving with friends in the north of Sweden when all the amazingly colourful autumn leaves were on the trees.

The best advice I could give to anyone thinking of going on exchange is to not only immerse yourself in uni life and get involved in events and activities, but also to try and fit in travel to as many different places as you can. Make the most of the short time you have!”

Macquarie students are encouraged to add international exchange or short-term international study to their degrees. Find out where you can go and how the University supports you with a generous travel grant scheme.