Lucinda Browne (right) spent the best months and made the best friends of her life on exchange at Utrecht University in the Netherlands.

Macquarie student steps out of comfort zone on exchange

Bachelor of Laws student Lucinda Browne is a self-confessed shy girl. Read what happens when she decides to step out of her comfort zone and go on exchange!

“I wouldn’t say I’m cripplingly shy but I’m definitely on the introverted spectrum of personality types and this made the prospect of exchange somewhat daunting and something I put off for a long time (my entire undergraduate degree actually).

Finally, in the last semester of my study I decided it was time to take action and push myself outside my comfort zone. Having asked many (and I’m sure irritating) questions at the international office regarding the logistics of exchange, I started researching where I might want to go.

The next minute I’d applied to Utrecht University in the Netherlands and everything started happening at the speed of light – visas, new passport, flights, classes, orientation etc.

The most interesting and, upon reflection useful, experience I had when getting ready to go on exchange was when I had to book accommodation. As an introvert I was naturally tempted to go for a one-person apartment or even a three-person if I really pushed myself! But it’s exchange and you have to be willing to take yourself to new heights of personal development.

With much trepidation, I instead opted for a seven-person flat. I then spent the months before exchange stressing that I’d be with crazy people and it would be awful. Instead what happened? The best months and best friends of my life!

By putting yourself out there and pushing your limits, you can reap huge rewards of personal growth and meet some great people along the way. I wouldn’t change a thing about my experience. Truly the best of my life.”

Macquarie students are encouraged to add international exchange or short-term international study to their degrees. Find out where you can go and how the University supports you with a generous travel grant scheme.

The Bachelor of Laws is a four-year standalone law degree that encourages students to look beyond law as a function of rules and procedures. Students learn about the social, political, historical, cultural and economic factors that influence the law’s development, and how the law is likely to change in the future.