Suna Ozcan (front row, left) and other students visit the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France.

Strasbourg exchange boosts Macquarie student’s French confidence

Suna Ozcan is studying for a Bachelor of International Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Laws at Macquarie University. She went on a short-term exchange to EM Strasbourg in France over summer and this is her story.

“When I was accepted into Macquarie University’s short-term exchange program, I was extremely delighted but I wasn’t too sure what to expect. I had been to France before (to Paris) so I didn’t know why I was being sent to Strasbourg. But I was so pleased when I got there. Although I would have never chosen the destination myself, I am so glad that it was chosen for me. It was absolutely picturesque – with delightful scenery, culture and heaps of things to do.

What’s more, we were placed right in the middle of town at the Citadines hotel. Not only was it clean, well serviced and had internet, the staff were extremely helpful. They even printed documents that I needed. It didn’t stop there though. Macquarie University and our partner university EM Strasbourg were impeccably organised. We always had Philla to help us and guide us through uncertainties.

Our days were jam-packed with exciting activities and we had relaxing weekends. In the three weeks, I went on wine-tasting tours, castle tours, to cathedrals with guides, on boats around the city, shopping, art museums, traditional Alsatian dinners and more.

What stood out most was definitely the learning experience. For three weeks, I was absolutely immersed in the French language with a wonderful professor at EM Strasbourg who worked tirelessly to improve our French. I came back from Strasbourg completely confident of my French, I was satisfied and happy beyond measure. I definitely recommend it!”

Macquarie students are encouraged to add international exchange or short-term international study to their degrees. Find out where you can go and how the University supports you with a generous travel grant scheme.

The Bachelor of International Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Laws teaches you to understand law in a global context. You’ll study a language and a culture such as Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Modern Greek, Polish, Russian, Spanish or Latin American. You’ll learn the role of law in society and gain an international outlook in your study.