Stephanie Triefus (right) and her Erasmus Student Network friends on the fortified walls of Valletta, the capital of Malta.

Malta a great jumping-off point to Europe, says Macquarie student

Macquarie University student Stephanie Triefus, who is doing a Bachelor of Arts with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, recently returned from exchange to the University of Malta and says she can’t recommend Malta enough as a destination.

“For my exchange I wanted to go to Europe to be close to family in England but I didn’t want to be stuck indoors for half of the session because of sub-zero temperatures or excessive rain. I settled on Malta because English is an official language, I was interested in the Mediterranean island culture and the weather is nice all year round. I was rewarded with a student residence full of fun-loving Erasmus students, a summer that extended into November and interesting European law courses.

I was worried that Malta was going to be too isolated for travel, but between cheap Ryanair flights and relaxed class attendance requirements I managed to visit Paris, Berlin and Istanbul and I had friends who went to Sicily, Venice and many more places.

The Maltese academic year starts at the end of September and finishes at the beginning of February so I was also able to travel Europe from July to September and still have a few weeks to visit Morocco before coming home to start my final year at Macquarie.

Highlights of my time in Malta include a weekend on the beautiful island of Gozo organised by the Erasmus Student Network, swimming, boating, snorkelling and scuba-diving around the island, living with all the Erasmus students in the centre of the island so nothing is more than an hour away, and the super-cheap nightlife where free drinks and transport mean nights out can cost less than 10 euros (important when there’s a student event every Tuesday).

My advice to students thinking of going on exchange is not to be afraid of going somewhere off the beaten track. It can be challenging organising classes and things when there’s no one to give you advice, but it’s all part of the experience.”

Macquarie students are encouraged to add international exchange or short-term international study to their degrees. Find out where you can go and how the University supports you with a generous travel grant scheme.

The Bachelor of Arts with the degree of Bachelor of Laws is a double degree designed by the student, with more than 40 major topics to focus their study. These include languages, gender studies, international business, politics and psychology.