Science Without Borders student Juliana de Oliveira Campo is studying biology, environmental science and English at Macquarie University.

Science Without Borders at Macquarie University

Brazilian Science Without Borders student Juliana de Oliveira Campo is studying a Bachelor of Science in biology and environmental science at Macquarie after first learning English at the Macquarie University English Language Centre.

Juliana, who studies science at Universidade de Brasília applied for the Science Without Borders  program that sends Brazilian university students to partner countries to enhance their studies. The Science Without Borders program emphasises STEM disciplines – science, technology, engineering and maths.

As part of her offer, Juliana was initially enrolled in the Macquarie University English Language Centre. A year after arriving, Juliana is now studying her chosen biology and environmental subjects at Macquarie.

“It was challenging. I was scared of not being able to communicate,” Juliana says in near-fluent English. “It helped that there was a big group of us. We helped each other.”

“The English language centre helped so much. We studied English, but also how to study in English at Macquarie University. Our classes were the same with essays, presentations and exams. So when we began studying our subjects, I felt prepared.”

Outside class, Juliana has explored Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania and is now feeling more confident about working outside the University as part of her PACE (Professional and Community Engagement) internship unit.

“I miss my family and my friends as Australia is very far away,” says Juliana. “But I wanted to come to Australia because I’m a biologist. I’m passionate about nature.”

Macquarie University English Language Centre offers Academic English, study tours, TESOL teacher training, and discipline-specific preparation programs for future university students.

While at Macquarie, Juliana is studying a Bachelor of Science in Biology.