Talented young engineer Joey Diamond came ‘halfway around the world’ to study engineering at Macquarie. [Photo: Chris Stacey]

American joins Macquarie’s robot wars

If you’ve ever seen a FIRST® Robotics tournament, you know how passionate (and competitive!) young engineers can get.

One such young engineer is Ohio-native Joey Diamond. Part of a world championship winning FIRST robotics team in high school, Joey is completing a Bachelor of Engineering degree at Macquarie with the support of a FIRST scholarship.

FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is an international organisation that inspires young people to participate in science and technology.

‘I first encountered Macquarie when I participated in the FIRST Robotics Asia Pacific Invitational, a competition for high schoolers that is hosted by Macquarie,” Joey says.

“My team had won the FIRST World Championship that year and we were invited to compete in Australia. I took a tour of Macquarie and fell in love with the campus.”

Joey says some were surprised when he chose to complete his bachelor degree in Australia.

“My mom was a bit nervous about me coming halfway around the world, which is understandable,” he recalls. “But how could I turn down the opportunity to study in another country?”

“It was – and still is – one big adventure for me.”

Macquarie has been a pioneer in spreading the FIRST mission, founding the first FIRST Robotics Competition team in Australia: Team 3132, the Thunder Down Under.

The team recently competed at the 2015 FIRST World Championships in St Louis, where they picked up the Engineering Inspiration Award.

“The FIRST World Championships are absolutely amazing,” Joey says. “I was so excited to have the opportunity to represent Macquarie there.”

With his degree in full swing, Joey says it can be challenging fitting in the robotics program with his regular study. But he says it’s ‘definitely worth it’.

“I couldn’t have picked a better place to study engineering,” he says. “The community here couldn’t be more supportive – I’ve been truly welcomed into the Macquarie engineering family.”

The Bachelor of Engineering is a four-year degree offering majors including Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronic Engineering.

Macquarie University offers scholarships to high achieving FIRST students , ranging from AU$20,000 to full tuition.