Jessica Compton's trip to India was just one of the life-changing experiences she enjoyed in the Global Leadership Program.

GLP: more than just a career boost

Macquarie is well known for its Global Leadership Program (GLP) – one of the first programs of its kind in Australia. Recent graduate Jessica Compton spent six years in the GLP and reflects here on how it transformed her.

“In a job market where most people have a degree (or two!), you need that extra edge to prop you up above other candidates to get that dream job.

Thanks to GLP, I had a way to distinguish myself as a globally-minded citizen on my formal academic record. But the GLP is about so much more than just boosting your career – it can be life-changing. Here are some of my GLP highlights.

Villawood

Villawood Immigration Detention Centre
In my first year at Macquarie I initiated Villawood Vollies, a volunteer program promoting health and wellbeing in Villawood Immigration Detention Centre. The people I met, the skills I developed, and the tears and laughter that transpired, all amounted to a journey so profound that it has shaped who I am today.

Christmas Island
During a colloquium event on International Humanitarian Law, I met a new lifelong friend, Rob. He told me about a volunteering opportunity on Christmas Island, and we ended up spending a month delivering programs and workshops to people seeking asylum through the Australian Government. We gained so much knowledge, understanding, humanity, and a deep care and respect for one another and for those seeking protection in Australia. Thanks Rob! 

India
I carried out my psychology placement in India for a month with Pravah, a not-for-profit working on youth citizen engagement. It was an incredible experience learning about Indian culture and forming some special bonds with my fellow Macquarie peers.

LEAP Mentoring
Two very special things happened while volunteering with LEAP. Firstly, the students I got to mentor were boys from Iran that I had met on Christmas Island when they first came to Australia! It was incredible to see them settled into the community and getting an education. Secondly, I made a very good friend in another GLP student, a friendship that I hope to treasure for a long time.

Professional development
The GLP Colloquium series was a great addition to university life. I integrated many key lessons into my personal and professional life. For example, during my Health placement at a local council I incorporated concepts and activities from the design thinking session; Insight to Innovation: Using Design Thinking to Solve Wicked Problems and the Climate Change – Leading for the future session.

Distinguished Speaker Series
The Distinguished Speaker events were the cream on the top of my GLP experience. I particularly loved the speeches by journalist Waleed Aly and former High Court judge, the Honourable Michael Kirby. But I enjoyed – and was inspired by – all of the incredible speakers that were delivered to me over my Macquarie years.

Thank you GLP for an incredible experience and a multitude of wonderful life-changing opportunities.”

Jessica Compton graduated with a Bachelor of Arts-Psychology and Bachelor of Health this year. She now works as a Program Manager for Red Earth, an organisation that connects students from metropolitan areas with elders and community members living in remote Indigenous homelands.

Participants in the Global Leadership Program learn global skills and understanding and put them into practice by studying, volunteering and participating in activities in Australia and overseas.

GLEP banner