Finding interesting career opportunities

German Study Abroad student Daniella Schlott visits the Careers Fair.

“At the 10th of August there was a Careers Fair at Macquarie Uni. It was organised and run by Macquarie’s Career & Employment Service. It was a great opportunity to get an idea of the very diverse career options and to get in contact with representatives of small and big companies. Many of the companies that attended the event, are working internationally, which means that international students can consider them for their future career as well.

During the Careers Fair I talked to many representatives of companies, NGO’s and other organisations and they told me a lot about their interesting work and about internship and volunteer opportunities.

However, not only did we talk about the positions, but how to practically get the job! The representatives provided me with important tips about preparing my application documents and being confident in a job interview.

One woman, for instance, told me, that she does not look that much at grades, but for extracurricular activities. She told me that she asks questions like: What are you doing alongside your studies? Can you think outside the box?  It is very important to know things like this when you prepare your application documents – and how should I’ve got such information without getting in touch with the companies?

This Careers Fair definitely helped me to get an overview of my possibilities in terms of my career and it was a great support for the next job application! I recommend you to not miss out the next Careers Fair at Macquarie Uni.”