Macquarie environment graduate Adele Jin.

Scholarship helps turn passion into career

“I still vividly remember how excited I was when I got my scholarship offer from Macquarie,” says Macquarie graduate Adele Jin. “I was one of four Chinese students to receive it that year, so it was a real honour.”

As a recipient of the Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship, Adele received tuition fee support in her completion of the Master of Environmental Planning and Postgraduate Diploma of Sustainable Development.

Having always been passionate about the environment, Adele chose postgraduate study at Macquarie to build specialist knowledge on top on her Chinese bachelor degree.

Now working in Sydney as an environmental reporting coordinator for Cushman and Wakefield – one of the world’s largest real estate services companies – Adele has turned her passion for the environment into a successful career.

She says that in addition to being a great boost to her CV, the scholarship was also a great motivator for working hard in her studies.

“The scholarship really motivated me to keep up the good work at uni,” she says. “It definitely helped me both financially and professionally.”

Adele says Macquarie’s range of scholarships for international students was a ‘cherry on top’ of its excellent environment courses.

“Macquarie offers a lot of professional streams, and I found the environment courses were more tailored than at other universities,” Adele says.

“The lecturers I had were very knowledgeable, and I got to go on some amazing field trips to explore the Australian flora and fauna.”

“I also met a lot of friends at Macquarie who shared the same interest in the environment,” she adds. “They really helped broaden my mindset about working in this field.”

Macquarie University has one of the most generous scholarship programs in Australia. Around AUD$6.7 million is awarded to students each year between domestic, international and Australian Government scholarships.