Indonesian government auditor Kania Inawesnia is pursuing a career in forensic accounting. Photo: Digby Woods.

Scholarship student’s fight against crime

When you think of a forensic investigation, you wouldn’t normally picture an accountant leading it.

But that’s exactly what forensic accounting is all about – using accounting knowledge together with investigative skills to tackle crimes like fraud and money laundering.

Australia Award scholarship recipient Kania Inawesnia is currently studying at Macquarie, with her sights set on a career in forensic accounting.

A government auditor in her native Indonesia, Kania chose Macquarie for the unique Financial Crime and Governance specialisation offered in the Master of Commerce.

“There aren’t any Indonesian universities that provide this subject,” Kania notes. “ I chose Macquarie because my friends told me it’s the best for this field and because the Faculty of Business and Economics has an excellent reputation.”

Kania says she has benefited enormously from the industry experience that many of Macquarie’s lecturers bring to the classroom, as well as Macquarie’s focus on practical learning.

“The lecturers here are very supportive and approachable, and also have professional experience in the field,” she notes. “For instance, one of my lecturers previously worked for the NSW Police Fraud squad.”

“In one of my units we had to pretend to be investigators in a practice fraud case and write up a formal report,” she adds. “Engaging in that kind of role-playing was very helpful for me in understanding the structure of a real life criminal investigation.”

Having enjoyed the welcoming, multicultural environment at Macquarie, Kania is looking forward to her return home at the end of her studies.

“I’ve made many friends here and the scholarship has been a real motivation for me to learn new skills that I can bring back to my country and make a difference.”

The Master of Commerce offers eight specialisations including Corporate Governance, Finance and Human Resource Management. It can be completed in 1-2 years, depending on recognised prior learning.