Balancing work and study

Many international students in Australia choose to combine their study with part-time work, to support their study and living costs, and gain valuable Australian work experience.

Japanese student Emiri Oishi successfully combined a full-time study load in the Master of Translating and Interpreting with a part-time job in Macquarie’s international office, assisting students looking to study at the University. Here she talks about the benefits of combining work and study, and how to find the right balance between the two.

“One of the reasons why I chose Macquarie was to get a job during my study. I was hopeful that there would be many job opportunities because Macquarie is located near the heart of Sydney, a major business hub of the Asia-Pacific region.

I first worked in Australia as a private Japanese language tutor – a job that was introduced to me by a Japanese staff member at Macquarie International. Through a student that I taught, I managed to get a position at Macquarie International itself.

My work has been a significant help for me financially, since I have funded my tuition fees and living expenses on my own. I really appreciate having my job as it enables me to enjoy myself in Australia and allows me to have a social life.

I’ve also been able to get to know people from different countries and cultures, which is something I hadn’t really experienced before coming to Australia.

A common question from the Japanese students I speak to is when they should start looking for a job.

From my experience, I would recommend that they first focus on getting accustomed to the differences between the Japanese and Australian learning environments, such as the delivery of the class and the amount of assignments. Then they can figure out how many hours they actually have left for work.

Balancing work and study has been a big challenge for me, since I’m not someone who compromises on my study. But I’ve found it to be incredibly beneficial since it broadens my interests and my viewpoints about the world.”

International student visa holders in Australia can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during academic sessions, and unlimited hours during scheduled session breaks. Macquarie’s Career and Employment can assist with finding part-time work.